Long Distance Moving
- What is Long Distance Moving?
- Binding Estimates of Total Cost
- Non-binding Estimates of Approximate Costs
- Long Distance Moving Checklist
Moving state-to-state, relocating cross-country or more than 100 miles away? DonвЂ™t let this major event overwhelm you. Read more about long distance moving to transform what can be a confusing and complicated unknown entity into a smooth and easy process.
A long distance move вЂ“ whether from state to state, cross-country moving or relocating more than 100 miles away with international movers вЂ“ can be complex and confusing. Wherever youвЂ™re going, understanding the general process will prepare you and your family properly for long distance moving. This article gives you the basics to make your long distance move smoother and easier.
Long distance moving refers to a move from one state to another, or a move of over 100 miles within the same state. This type of move is priced differently from a local move: the cost is based on both the distance to be covered and the official weight of the goods being moved (the moving company will provide an estimate of the latter based on the information you provide).
The cost of a long distance moving can also be heavily affected by specific characteristics, including: whether the moving company assists with packing; the time it takes to unload the goods at the destination; construction of the destination (e.g. stairs vs. elevators); the insured value of the property; and storage of the goods for an interim period before delivery.
A few tips to a successful long distance moving
Understand your estimates
A binding estimate of total cost in a long distance moving includes a thorough description of your shipment and all services to be provided by the moving company, and the moving company may charge you a nominal amount to prepare the estimate.
Unless there are unanticipated changes in the services to be provided, the estimated amount is all youвЂ™ll have to pay. Factors that could result in additional charges in your long distance move include unanticipated charges at the destination, such as long carries, additional stairs to climb, and charges for elevator/shuttle use.
Binding estimates of total cost must be written and signed by you and the moving company in order to be legally binding. You should get a copy before the move begins.
By accepting a binding estimate, you are committed to pay in full once the property has been delivered (unless, prior to the move, the moving company agrees to extend credit).
If for some reason you canвЂ™t or wonвЂ™t pay at the time of delivery, the moving company is at liberty to place all the property in storage at your expense until all charges are fully paid up.
Read more about the Golden rules for Long Distance Moving
These estimates are always provided free of charge, and simply provide a rough idea of your anticipated moving costs. The estimate is not a guarantee of what youвЂ™ll ultimately pay, and in no way commits the moving company to the estimated amount. The actual amount will be based on the fees published by the various moving companies, regardless of any non-binding estimates provided.
Non-binding estimates should include details of the shipment and all the services to be provided by the moving company. These estimates must be provided in writing and the final cost cannot be more than ten percent over the estimated total following delivery of your property to its destination (remaining charges can be paid up to thirty days after the delivery). Of course, if you utilize more services than those detailed in the estimate, the moving company is entitled to expect full payment at the time of the delivery.
Moving is definitely an overwhelming job, and if it happens to be a long distance moving opportunity, or an international moving one, life can really become stressful. Long distance moving includes both international as well as interstate moving. To make this otherwise a stressful job, easier, you should be planning each and every step. For that purpose, keeping a long distance moving checklist can be a great help. To help you with some idea on what all should be included in your checklist, you may want to download a free moving checklist from one of the many moving related site offering it. The checklist that the sites offer for free download are usually in the form of a printable moving checklist.
The first thing in this house moving checklist would be to finalize a good moving company as the first thing. You would surely need help of long distance or international movers for your long distance move. However, it is not an easy job to find the best mover, which suits both your budget and requirements. We can come in handy here. All we ask you to do is to fill in an easy online estimate form and we would then get back to you with totally free and 100% no-obligation quotes from top movers around. This would reduce your work load to some extent.
Provided here are some tips to make your transition a smooth one.
- Getting rid of extra stuff: Whether it is a house moving checklist or office moving checklist, one of the top tasks should include getting rid of extra stuff at your home. It is just not an additional burden, but you also end up paying more to moving company for carrying this unnecessary stuff. Go for a yard sale or donate them to some charity.
- Inform your family and friends:Another important entry in your long distance moving checklist should be to inform your friends and family of your move and your new contact information. You may ask for their suggestion, if some of them have been to the place where you are moving to.
- Contacting with schools: If you have children of school age, you may want to look for their school in your new place. You can do this through the Internet or contacts, even before you have really moved to your new place. Very important entry in your long distance moving checklist indeed.
- Last but certainly not the least:After all is set and done there are some additional important steps to follow before you make your final move; make a final check to make sure all the boxes have been transferred. You may want to call your moving company to confirm whether your stuff has arrived safely or not. Show your gratefulness to your neighbors for all the love and support they rendered to you during your stay.
These are some entries that are a must in your long distance moving checklist. You should add as many important things you can think of in the checklist. It is also important to go through the checklist to make sure everything has been accomplished, and if something has been not, make all the necessary arrangements to get that done.
You can make the job as difficult as long distance moving, easier by planning it properly. As far as selecting a moving company is concerned, we are anyway there to help you out. All you need to do is to fill in our free online estimate form. It doesnвЂ™t take more than 3-4 minutes to do so. We would then get back to you with free quotes from top moving companies around.